- You want to take advantage of the limited time you have during the story arcs to get some of these rare resources for crafting things. – Jeremy Gess
- The location the resource was found can affect the benefits, bonuses, and other characteristics of that resource.
- Players drop resources and other items upon death, based on their applicable death penalties.
- Resources will not expire or degrade over time.
- We don't want to create an environment I feel where you're having to micromanage each of the resources that are very vast in our game. We have 100 plus material system where you're having to play whack-a-mole with managing those things... I don't see the value in it. – Steven Sharif
- Raw materials (gatherable resources) are not to be confused with crafting materials (processed goods).
- Animal byproducts
- Corrupted resources
- Seasonal variations in resource availability will impact the economy and necessitate the transit of goods between different regions.
- One of the things that is huge about the season system and how it affects crops and the gatherables in the game is the impact it will have on the economy. When a particular area no longer is capable for a week's period of time, or even potentially longer, of producing a certain type of crop or harvestable; and that has to change across the world regionally, now the transit system of those materials of those gatherables they become more relevant, and they're subject to potential risk; and the prices might go up in certain areas. It is something that is actually very instrumental in the overall design of the economy in the game. – Steven Sharif
- Seasons may not directly affect certain gatherables, such as veins of ore, but access to those resources may be blocked during certain weather conditions.
- It won't likely affect too much on certain resource spectrums like veins of ore. Those might not be affected by the seasons or weather systems, but there might be blockages to cave networks that house those types of ore veins. Alternatively it is going to be significant impact on any type of herbology or plant-based types of gatherables. It's going to have significant impacts on crops that players can plant themselves on their properties; and that they'll be able to harvest. They're going to need to time the crop placement and its maturity window so that it's harvestable and available to be harvest before the change of seasons that might adversely affect certain types of crops. And not every biome will experience the same type of effects caused by the seasonality of the world. The desert biome might instead of snow have significant more winds that pick up that could be damaging to more fragile types of crops if you have a freehold in that location. – Steven Sharif
- Gatherers who are more advanced in their artisan tree will unlock higher level harvesting tools that have a greater chance of collecting higher quality resources or proccing a greater quantity.
You will have an opportunity to proc certain qualities based on your progression in the Artisan tree. So if you are a gatherer; and as you advance in your gathering, you'll have a higher opportunity to collect better resources. – Steven Sharif
- Some resources will be one-time gatherables that will randomly respawn at a different location once collected.
- We really want resources to be persistent and non-renewable. If there’s a mithril vein, that mithril vein will be there until it runs out. The server will manage these amounts on its own, and will repopulate things where and when it desires. You might find another mithril vein in that location sometime later, or somewhere nearby, or maybe never again!
- Other resources will exist as a cluster (also called vein gatherables). These will last until the full resource is depleted.
- Like a large mine that's present and has a vein of mithril ore in it, or a herd of some type of animal that you can collect fur or wool from. – Steven Sharif
- Once a vein resource is depleted from one location it may respawn in the same location or somewhere else, depending on the type of resource.
- There will be moving resources such as herds of animals that are constantly moving around the world.
- Herds are a source of certain types of wild gatherables but they're in animal form and they're animated; and they exist in a group of the golden fleece sheep that might only spawn very rarely in certain hillsides; and only during spring. And if you can find that vein so to speak of resource you can interact with the herd and you can gather from them. – Steven Sharif
- Corrupted areas may house corrupted resources that are necessary components for certain crafting recipes.
- Certain types of resources will have a corrupt state... We have a Spirit Bloom, which is a harvestable herbalism plant, but when a Zone becomes corrupt you can potentially yield Corrupted Spirit Blooms; and those are necessary components of certain crafting recipes. – Steven Sharif
- Resources respawn on a cooldown basis.
- Resources won't be locked to the node system.
- Verra's map will not be procedurally generated, but starting resource points may be different on each server.
- Surveying is a way that players can check out an area for resources. Players can learn where resources are that are static and that grow back in the same location; but we'll also have resources and Ashes that can spawn anywhere, so surveying will help players locate those those resources. So if they're looking for something specific they can hunt them down. Surveying will also allow players to uncover hidden resources that players wouldn't be able to see with their with their naked eye. Another thing that a surveying would provide is some of the information that we're talking about before, like for instance if you survey- and inside of your survey area there's plants, you might learn what season that plant likes to grow in. You might learn whether it likes to be watered during the winter versus how it likes to be watered in the summer. – Kory Rice
- Surveying can identify the types of resources that spawn statically within an area and also provides information about the seasons and locations they spawn in.
- Surveying can help uncover hidden resources that are not visible to the naked eye.
- Szakmai fejlődés unlocks higher level surveying tools that enable better identification of gatherable resources within a location.
- Unlocking surveying pylons allows the gatherer to adjust the shape and extend the area of their survey.
- You'd work with a surveying tool; and you set the surveying tool down, and that tool would have a specific area in which it's able to uncover and extract information about the resources that are in the area. As a starting out gatherer you might end up with one of the tools, but as you as you progress and become more proficient with using the tool you might be able to set up additional pylons and extend the area of your survey. That allows you to start making shapes and having more strategic areas that you're surveying. If you could connect multiple pylons to create a shape, maybe you could follow the twisting caverns of the cave. Maybe if you're out in the open like we are here you could just try and make yourself a nice widened shape to scan as much of the area as possible. So it'll be up to the player to be tricky with their surveying tool to try and get the most efficiency out of their survey. – Kory Rice
- The spawn rate of resources in a given area is influenced by how players are interacting with those resources.
- Drawing excessive amounts of resources may have a deleterious effect on the land health value for that area.
- Actions like ridding an area of invasive species or performing crop rotations on freehold farms may have a positive effect on that area's land health value.
- Defeating certain world bosses or mobs can positively impact the respawn rates of resources and animals in their vicinity.
- It could be could be positive or negative, or both simultaneously. So the land health value ties into the health of a specific ecosystem; and the ecosystem can scale with different segment sizes of the world, or the world itself: A biome, maybe a node, maybe the player's freehold. And the things that a player does in those areas will contribute to health in a positive or negative way. So doing something like rotating your crops might increase the health of the land because that's considered something good to do; and maybe apprehending or removing poachers that are over hunting a certain species could be helpful to the health of the land. Maybe the mayor puts out a request for players to try and get rid of invasive species that are plants- maybe they're overgrowing weed and it's stopping other valuable plants from growing. – Kory Rice
- The spatial inventory system is intended to mitigate the potential for players to diminish land management scores by stripping resources from particular zones.
- There's a particular reason for why that inventory system is intended to exist within Ashes; and part of that is from the aspect of everything in the world is gatherable and there is a land management system that exists behind those gatherable things. The land management system takes into account how players are interacting with the environment: how many of the resources they're withdrawing from the world; and that decreases the spawn rate within certain localities as those things go too high. So there can be a degree of economic warfare by sending players out into zones where you want to mitigate collection of resources. You send your players out there to take all those resources and then that diminishes the land management score of that particular zone. – Steven Sharif
- This will affect professions such as fishing, farming, and animal husbandry.
- Since players may only have one Freehold, they must choose their Artisan specializations accordingly if they wish to place it in the Underrealm.
- Each gathering profession has three gathering tools. Each tool allows gathering of different resource types.
- Progression in the gathering artisan class unlocks higher level harvesting tools that enable gathering of higher level resources.
- Artisan progression unlocks higher level surveying tools that enable better identification of gatherable resources within a location.
- Higher level of progression can also speed up gathering times, resource yields, and may allow access to resources at earlier growth stages.
- A gatherer at maximum proficiency will unlock master toolsets that will grant them access to the highest quality gatherables.
- Tools will have durability and lifespans.
- Artisans will not need to rely on other trees in order to make their tools.
- Tools do advance within the artisan tree, so your ability to either gather, process or craft will require the equivalent tools necessary at that stage of crafting in order to accomplish the task at hand. So, you could not mine copper and mithril with the same tool. – Steven Sharif
- The developers are considering the introduction of gathering tools that require two players, such as two-person saws that can fell larger trees.
- Your progression within the profession will take account what tools you can use. There might even be some opportunity to do some gathering with other players that . Typically in other games that I play you usually do the gathering alone. You're venturing around alone; and we wanted to take a look at maybe having a friend to help you with a two person saw on a larger tree. Maybe there's some panning that you could do as opposed to just hitting with the pickaxe. So, we'll have other tools that are part of that progression path and other activities that players can do if they would like to gather together. – Kory Rice
Gathering tool tiers
|Tool rarity||Resource tiers||Vendor price||Vendor location|
|Common||1||10g||Alpha-1 starting area|
|Uncommon||1 - 2||100g||Expedition (színpad 1) nodes|
|Rare||1 - 3||500g||Encampment (színpad 2) nodes|
|Epic||1 - 4||2000g||Village (színpad 3) nodes|
List of gathering tools
|Item||Icon||Type||Resource tiers||Rarity||Level requirement||Source||Cost|
|Beginners Pole||Fishing pole||1||Common||1||Vendor||10|
|Cultivator||Tool||1 - 3||Rare||1||Vendor||500|
|Diamond Tipped Pickaxe||Pickaxe||1 - 4||Epic||1||Vendor||2,000|
|Intermediate Pole||Fishing pole||1 - 2||Uncommon||1||Vendor||100|
|Iron Chopper||Tool||1 - 2||Uncommon||1||Vendor||100|
|Iron Pickaxe||Pickaxe||1 - 2||Uncommon||1||Vendor||100|
|Steel Pickaxe||Pickaxe||1 - 3||Rare||1||Vendor||500|
|Tiller||Tool||1 - 2||Uncommon||1||Vendor, Quest rewards||100|
Resource extractors are potential constructions that can collect resources over time.
- Available to node citizens who own a freehold near a "resource center".
- Requires several people to construct.
- Moving resources from the extractor will likely require a caravan.
- Crafting honestly will not come online in any sense of its true form until Alpha-2. Alpha-1 has essentially what are intended to be the core gameplay loop of crafting, meaning the collection of materials, the translation of those materials into processed goods, and the use of those processed goods into item acquisition. That's the core gameplay loop that is currently present in Alpha-1. But those are mostly facilitated piggy backing the merchant systems right now and not actually using the real crafting system; and that's because crafting hasn't been completed in a form that can be implemented in Alpha-1, but will be for Alpha-2. What's present in Alpha-1 doesn't even really scratch the surface for crafting. – Steven Sharif
- Élő adás, 2017-09-03 (10:48).
- About Ashes of Creation.
- Élő adás, 2017-05-08 (54:26).
- Video, 2023-03-31 (16:42).
- Élő adás, 2023-04-28 (1:24:36).
- Élő adás, 2020-07-31 (1:05:58).
- Élő adás, 2020-07-25 (1:04:50).
- Élő adás, 2021-03-26 (1:07:33).
- Podcast, 2017-05-05 (43:05).
- Interjú, 2020-07-18 (27:11).
- Élő adás, 2023-03-31 (1:19:26).
- Élő adás, 2017-05-05 (34:15).
- Élő adás, 2017-05-10 (8:22).
- Video, 2022-10-28 (19:10).
- Élő adás, 2022-04-29 (56:24).
- Élő adás, 2022-05-27 (55:47).
- Video, 2022-05-27 (15:50).
- Élő adás, 2017-05-08 (20:27).
- Élő adás, 2017-11-17 (53:28).
- Élő adás, 2020-04-30 (53:11).
- Interjú, 2018-10-20 (2:13).
- Interview: Ashes of Creation on Building Their Virtual World, 2017-04-13.
- Élő adás, 2022-05-27 (1:00:23).
- Élő adás, 2019-12-17 (1:14:42).
- Élő adás, 2023-03-31 (59:10).
- Élő adás, 2017-05-19 (37:03).
- Video, 2022-10-28 (10:52).
- Élő adás, 2022-04-29 (25:16).
- Video, 2023-06-30 (21:05).
- Video, 2022-10-28 (14:33).
- Élő adás, 2023-05-31 (42:06).
- Podcast, 2023-07-15 (22:57).
- Élő adás, 2023-04-07 (27:30).
- Átirat, 2022-11-05 (10:46:47).
- Élő adás, 2017-06-01 (24:30).
- Élő adás, 2023-06-30 (50:07).
- Video, 2023-06-30 (3:14).
- Élő adás, 2022-10-14 (32:38).
- Interjú, 2020-03-27 (9:00).
- Interjú, 2018-05-11 (38:25).
- Video, 2022-10-28 (26:14).
- Video, 2022-10-28 (25:11).
- Alpha-1 screenshot.
- Élő adás, 2017-05-30 (10:24).
- Élő adás, 2021-03-26 (42:28).
- Interjú, 2021-02-07 (35:30).
- Élő adás, 2021-04-30 (41:18).